Thursday, May 14, 2009

My engine build is in progress. Following in the John Karcey, thaught train. 76x85.5, (B pistons), 5.5" rods. Demellow full circle crank with stock flywheel and 1965 jaguar xke equalizer pulley and 356 porsch generator pulley. Will replace the stock doghouse fan with a balanced and welded one . I have a set of "OMNI valves" and plan on using them. they are supposed to help pick up bottom end tourque. They take ~5cc of space up in the head. (just starting the head work so this is not verified yet) With omni valves the valves take care of the opening and closing events (up to .160" lift if I rember correctly) leaving the cam to set max duration and the cam/rockers to set max lift. The cam I am using: CB performance 2236 ( Adv. Duration 280° / Dur. @ .050" 236° / Lift @ cam .339" / Lift w/1.1:1 Rocker Arms .372" IVO 8,51° Lob Cnt 108ยบ) I am going to use 1.25 rockers on the intake and 1.1 on the exhaust. The engine is also set up for full filter flow with the Bob Hoover oil mods, with a type 4 cooler, 4 in one header with a vacume pipe mod for the centermount carb preheat, and a dual vac distrubitor and it's matching 34 picti 3 carb. I have a jag crank harmonic balancer pully like John Karcey (but with an alternator instead of a generator like in his 1982 gia engine). I am slowly setting the heads up, aiming for a .040" deck and 8.5 to 9 ish compression. What compression are you running? I am considering running exhaust port extensions like "The Old One". From the man himself: "The principal reason for originally developing these extensions was to combat reversion back in the mid 70's. As program dollars permitted more and more port/system R&D, I found that on some applications, extending the exhaust port length (before dumping into a larger primary header pipe) caused significant torque increases over shorter ports. Equalizing port wall lengths to equalize surface friction was next, and of course, combining all three followed. I never came up with any formula's for doing this, and today, I still determine the best combination the old fashioned way....on the dyno in both acceleration runs (ramped by time) and the more effective acceleration runs ramped by a diminishing load, where elapsed time from point A to point B in the RPM scale is the read-out. This later method equates more closely to real-world. Larry"Pictures and more info on my engine build are : Pictures and more info on my engine build are : http://sites.google.com/site/buglover34465/1951-rhd-split-window-vw-bug one sewsight I have found particulary interesting is https://mototuneusa.com/thanx.htm For some reason the web security doesnot like this sight but I have not had any problem with the engine build pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment