Wednesday, May 20, 2009

My new air system .
My used craftsman 12 gallon 6.5 gpm air compressor works well but it has less than adequate air volumn for my air tools. This setup is my solution. I created a surge tank downstream of the compressor output using a removable jumper so my portable compressor is still portable and thus easily interchangeable if necessiary. The air cylinder holds ~60-70 gallons and is about 3 times the size of the portable tank. The air cylinder is rated to 2800 psig and cost $25.00 from the local junk yard. I installed a water trap filter on its input and a pressure regulator on its output. My friend uses a PVC air expansion setup as a water trap. It uses three 6' long 2.5" in diameter pipes as expansion chambers/water traps. He connects the chambers sequentially with a drain valve on each one. he has only described this water trap to me so after I get some things clarified I plan on building one. He said that he installs it between his compressor output and the comertial water trap/pressure regulator setup he runs. With this setup as it is right now I can run all my air tools and they run well. No more waiting for the compressor to raise pressure so I can use my air powered rotary tool. I can even run the dual action sander which barely ran before. The guy at the vitamin shop had one of the best ideas, use a metal garden hose reel to hold the air hose. With wall mounting, the hose is out of the way yet aviable when needed and the hose reel can hold ~200 ft of air line. I also plan to do this but on another paycheck.
I used the lifepreserver to keep the plastic line from toucging the compressor housing. The beauty of this idea is that the compressor can be located close to the electric plug but the surge tank does not have to be and the system can run off of the surge tank. Buglover34465.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment