Sunday, August 1, 2010

thaughts


My Dad and I were talking tonight about our lives and how one man can make a difference. It's been his theme with me since I've come home for a visit. I've been pondering a situation in which I am in. My Dad agrees with me on my solution's worth, it's benifits, and that I need to let the rest work itself out over time. We talked about it today as my recent attempt at bringing the extended family together failed misiberably. I failed to find out if little kids could skate at the rink I planned as the Saturday night family gathering spot. This little bit of missing info caused a lot of unintended damage due to emotions spilling over. Had I thaught to ask about this beforehand, the answer would have been just to go somewhere else. (Unfortunately I did not realize the answer untill later while thinking what just happened here?) In our talks, my Dad told stories of how he made a difference in other peoples lives: (for example, organizing a huricane Katrina relief truck which sent one Bekins semi-truck, full of relief supplies, to help the hurricane victims). His other point has been how one man can make a difference in a persons life: (for example, in high school my locker was broken into emptied and the school said I had to pay to replace my textbooks even thoe my locker was broken into. My Dad persuaded the head security guy to replace my books which made a difference in my life as they were expensive.) He is a great dad and has always been an important influence in my life. Something I try to do for my daughter. Unfortunately calling to see if little children could skate or if people could afford to go was not something I thaught of. Together we looked for something positive in tonights events. (The rink owner/workers turned out to be the same people with whom I worked at "The ELMHURST Skating rink" aka "THE ELM" when I was a senior in high school. It's where I bought my used speed skates from ED, the same ED who was running the door tonight.) What my Dad was/is telling me is to watch my thaughts as we all have crazy thaughts and while we are not always responsible for the first thaught we are for the second one. Which way my life goes is resultant on my thaughts. It's powerful and effective, to make a statement in the positive and present moment. You may have heard this saying already but it's powerful and worth repeating. "Be careful of your thaughts for they become your words and emotions! Be careful of your words for they become your actions! Be careful of your actions for it becomes your habits! Be careful of your habits for they become your behavior! Be careful of your behavior for it becomes your life!" With my life and my current situation I can make a positive difference and that is what my Dad and I believe I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment